The Rayflector

Tyronn Lue Fired

Sydnee Carter

“I only wish the organization success going forward,” Tyronn Lue says after being fired at the beginning of the 2018-2019 season.

Raytown High School Alumni Tyronn Lue, is a former NBA basketball player now former NBA head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers. From 2011-2013 he was the assistant coach of the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers. In 2014, Lue became the associate head coach for the Cleveland Cavaliers. In 2016, when the team decided to cut ties with David Blatt because they claimed he was unfit, Lue became the head coach. In that same year, he was the first rookie coach to lead his team to a championship title.

Lue was the Eastern Conference Coach of the Month in November of
2016. Since the team was so successful during Lue’s first year as head coach he
was offered a five year contract extension. After all of the success in his
first year as head coach, Lue took the Cavaliers to two more NBA Finals. Unfortunately,
the team was defeated by the Golden State Warriors at Finals in 2017 and
2018.

In March of 2017, Lue began having chest pains and suffering from lack of sleep leading to a 10 day leave of absence and during his absence he realized he was suffering from anxiety. At the end of the 2017 season, star player Kyrie Irving decided he wanted to be traded to another team. Before the 2018 season started Kyrie Irving was traded to the Boston Celtics. Losing Irving set the team back immensely because he averaged 25 points in 35 minutes per game.

Due to internal conflict between Lebron James and the owner of the Cavaliers Dan Gilbert because of political differences and Dan Gilbert calling LeBron a coward, it became obvious James was no longer happy with the team. With the loss of the team’s second superstar and the dominance of the Golden State Warriors, LeBron James decided to leave the team and join the Los Angeles Lakers. Losing LeBron was a major blow to the team and put them into automatic rebuild mode. After losing six games at the beginning of the 2018-2019 season, the Cleveland Cavaliers fired Tyronn Lue.

The Cleveland Cavaliers stated, “This is a different team equation, and one that we felt needed a different voice and approach that required this change.” Even though Tyronn Lue was let go abruptly, his players still showed love, appreciation and respect for him.

LeBron James tweeted, “T Lue thanks for the memories and more importantly our partnership… You know how to find me.”

Then Kevin Love posted a picture on Instagram captioning the photo “you helped me see the big picture. Life changing experiences and teaching points. Nothing but love and admiration. Know we will work towards something greater together again.”

The Cavaliers have already replaced Tyronn Lue for the rest of the 2018-2019 basketball season with Larry Drew former coach of the Milwaukee Bucks. Larry Drew was an assistant coach from 1992-2010 when he became head coach of the Atlanta Hawks.