The Rayflector

Voter Fraud

Emma Smith, Staff Writer

With the 2018 election coming up fast, it could be in danger of voter fraud. Donald Trump released a tweet that CNN quotes saying; “All levels of government and Law Enforcement are watching carefully for VOTER FRAUD, including during EARLY VOTING. Cheat at your own peril. Violators will be subject to maximum penalties, both civil and criminal!”

While President Trump goes on about this, there currently is no evidence of existing voter fraud.

To explain, Voter Fraud or Electoral fraud is illegal interference with the process of the election. Whether that be increasing votes for a favored candidate or depressing votes for the opposer. And while this is viewed as a major scale issue by some, to America as a whole, it’s considered to be a myth.

It began in 1986 when it was Reagan’s 6th year in office. The Republicans discovered that they would not be able to attract a voter majority so they cut their budget which left people stunned. Therefore they ended up winning due to the change in the composition of the electorate, where Voter Fraud began.

Now Voter Fraud has become a common problem in America, but like before, it is not its biggest issue.

Time Magazine’s Article, “Want to Protect Elections? Then You Need to Take Voter Fraud Seriously”, states; “The extensive use of mail-in ballots, for example, has certainly made voting more convenient. But much of our voter fraud (and voter error) come from these same efforts to make voting more convenient and easy. Likewise, the use of newer technologies such as electronic voting open us up to the threat of hacking and force us to confront issues of cyber-security around our voting systems.”

Based on the newest advancements with voting, the biggest problem seems to be Americans who agree to these advancements. Voter Fraud is a myth and a way for the representatives of America to dodge other issues.