The Rayflector

Migrant caravan presses north toward US border

MaKayla Webb, Staff Writer

On October 24th, the migrant caravan continued their journey north, but travel conditions across three countries proved too harsh for some.

A small group of about 50 people stayed behind, some exhausted and with blistered feet and others with children too sick to continue.  They decided to wait for transportation from the Mexican government to help them return to Honduras. The long journey is not for everyone, and who could blame them for wanting to stop? The group of people who are continuing to migrate could still have a chance but are most likely tired, exhausted, and hungry.

Neri Manueles, 34, left his family and two kids behind in Honduras to find work in the US. “I just want to stay three years, enough to help my family” said Manueles, who once worked for the Honduran Red Cross. “You can’t complain about them to anyone because they could be part of the gang. Even the police,” he said. “I know I’m risking my life but I see my poor family and having to see my family struggle is no way to live.

Sam Maldone who is also seeking for a new opportunity  left Nicaragua 26 days ago because of the economic turmoil and extortion, he said. The 27-year-old father of 2-year-old twins said he has many friends who opposed the government and were detained, tortured and released.

“At least I’m not out there stealing,” he said. But the journey hasn’t been easy. Rivera Maldone hurt his foot jumping a bridge as police approached. “I put God first,” he said about his journey.  

The journey for them will be long and rough but I hope with enough motivation that they will make it here to the U.S and find opportunities that they were missing and find a good living here in the U.S. My prayers and thoughts go out to the people migrating here.