The Rayflector

Success Is Subjective

Matt McAndrew, the season 7 runner-up of NBC’s The Voice talks winning, losing, and life after the show.

Rae Deboe, Editor-In-Chief

Fresh off the release of his single “Game Over” and its accompanying video, Matt McAndrew is in good spirits.

“I feel good about [“Game Over”]. It’s been a minute since I’ve tried to do a video for anything and I just kinda realized that it’s really important to have that visual component… It’s kind of an opportunity to steer people’s ear in the direction that you want, which is interesting,” McAndrew said.

It was 2014 when McAndrew first took the stage on The Voice, and the epic, emotional journey hasn’t been lost to him. His face glows as he reminisces on his time on the show.

“Out of all of [the biggest moments], I guess [performing my original song] “Wasted Love” probably [stands out the most]. That was the only one that cracked #1 [on the Billboard 200 chart] our season. Taylor Swift had just put out her record, so she was always #1 on the charts, so if you got to #2, that was kinda like #1! But for it to be an original song and go to #1, it was really cool,” McAndrew said.

He spent his months on the show working closely with Adam Levine, frontman of Maroon 5. Levine has been in the public eye since the band’s hit album Songs About Jane broke into the mainstream and gained popularity within a huge demographic of people all over the world. He has been a coach on The Voice since the show’s beginning in 2011 and his team has won the show three times out of the 14 seasons previously aired (season 15 is in progress at the time of publication).

Getting close with this international pop star was an advantage that McAndrew has been able to carry throughout his career as an artist.

“I feel like [Adam Levine] is somebody that I’ve kinda looked at as a role model just to see how he does a lot of different things… from the way he performs to the way he sings,” McAndrew said.

Levine’s laid back personality did a lot of good for McAndrew as he battled nerves at the show’s beginning. (“What, man, you’re nervous? Just don’t be [expletive] nervous,” Levine once quipped to his budding protege.) After being under his wing for a few performances, however, McAndrew started to get the hang of it for himself, pushing away from nervousness and claiming the stage as his own every single time.

Although he gained comfortability during his time on the show, nothing could have prepared McAndrew for his success.

“I just wanted to shine a spotlight on what I was already doing. I was finishing up my debut solo EP, View of the Pines, and my ultimate dream was to get on a couple of episodes and and maybe gain a few more followers. Just to put some attention toward what I was already doing. That was my real goal. I had no idea that I would actually make it to the end of the show,” McAndrew said.

As he continued to get further into the competition, seeing as other participants’ run ended, his focus was forced to shift. He decided he would do what he could to actually win – and he came pretty close. Although he didn’t come out on top, McAndrew gained the new following and national exposure that he wanted in the beginning, making his experience more than worth it.

Life hasn’t come to a halt for McAndrew after being on The Voice. He decided on the setlist for his upcoming album, for which a release date is yet to be announced. His shows have been successful (“I’m playing with a band again for the first time in, like, a couple years… It’s really fun. It’s good!”), and his fanbase has been interactive, leaving supportive comments under his most recent video and his occasional tweets.

While he may struggle to reclaim the momentum he acquired with his time on The Voice, Matt McAndrew is content, excited for the future, and shows no signs of slowing down.