The Rayflector

Bluejay Football Season

Dallas Glynn, Staff Writer

Coming off of a year where the Raytown Bluejays football team went 5-5 and a disappointing lost to Ruskin in the playoffs, the team bounced back with a winning season for the first time in 20 plus years. The team continued their successful season by winning their first conference championship in school history led by coach Logan Minnick.

The Bluejays impressive season started off by beating Blue Springs South 41-34. The next game the Bluejays had a hiccup against Oak Park as they fell 14-7 at Home. The loss  woke the Bluejays up because they destroyed their rival Raytown South 35-0 on their home field the second straight year the Bluejays defeating their longtime rival. The team then avenged their playoff loss to Ruskin by blowing them out 56-6 on Ruskin home field.

Raytown won its next 4 games against Fort Osage 42-35, Belton, 48-14 William Chrisman 49-21 and Grain Valley 44-29 setting up a date with North Kansas City to the rights for the Conference Championship.

North Kansas City came into the game 8-0 and the Bluejays 7-1. The Blue jays fought hard all game and defeated North Kansas city 35-34 as the Bluejays stopped North Kansas City 2 point conversion to take the lead in the final minute of the game. The Bluejays were by far the best team North Kansas City played and that showed in the Game.

Since the Blue Jays had a great season they earned a bye in the Playoffs and got to sit back and wait to see who they play next in the Playoffs. The Bluejays were seeking their first playoff win in a long time when they went up against Belton. The Bluejays had already defeating Belton 48-14 on the Bluejays’ senior night. But Belton made some major adjustments and were ready for the Bluejays this time as they beat the Bluejays Jays 35-7 handing Raytown their second loss of the season and ending the Bluejays great season. Even though the Bluejays didn’t end the season how they wanted, Raytown still had a great season going 8-2 and winning their first Conference Championship.