The Rayflector

College Prep

Cierra Milton, Staff Writer

Getting ready for college can become complicated if you do not have the correct guidance. Taking the time to talk to a counselor and/or college advisor can significantly help. They are educated to know what colleges require and can answer all of your collegiate questions.

You can recieve help with filing for FAFSA, applying to colleges, and searching for scholarships that best suit you. Also, doing research in your own personal time can be useful, especially if you have certain colleges you want to attend. Colleges and universities have most of the important information for applying on their websites, that includes required scores and expectations.

Many colleges have deadlines, which are essential to keep up with.Simply googling the name of any college and ‘deadlines’ will instantly pull up deadlines for applying, submitting your FAFSA, or special occasions for incoming freshmen.

Furthermore, open houses for prospective students are offered year-round. During these, you can see if you like not only the college’s academics, but the campus as well.

College, as everybody knows, costs a lot. Application fees have to be paid when applying, but can be waived for good reasoning which is why FAFSA is important, because it can help students receive financial aid from the government. FAFSA stands for  The Free Application for Federal Student Aid and can be prepared annually by current and incoming college students in the United States to determine their eligibility for student financial aid.

Katie Cook, a Senior, comments on the applying process by saying, “Start early, and apply for scholarships. It makes it a lot easier in the future.”

When applying to college, getting everything done quicker is the easiest route to take and is advice that should be followed.

Our college advisor, Ms. Hampton, and is available to help if you make an appointment. She can answer any questions from ACT scores and GPA to FAFSA.

College is said to be a life changing experience, but the road to college is challenging. With the help of peers and administrators, it can be less stressful. Knowing you have everything prepared before applying will ease stress, and make life easier for the time being.