The Rayflector

March For Our Lives Overview

Kimberly Flores, Web Editor

On March 24th, thousands of people all across the United States rallied against gun violence in the March For Our Lives. The main March For Our Lives rally took place in Washington, where it is estimated that over 800,000 people were in attendance. This record-breaking number surpasses the Women’s Protest at 500,000 and is the largest single-day protest in the history of our nation’s capital.

The protest was organized by survivors of a Parkland, Florida high school shooting that took place on Valentine’s day where seventeen people were killed by Nikolas Cruz. There are many memorable speakers that spoke at the rally in Washington D.C. including survivors of the shooting. Cameron Kasky, a survivor of the Parkland shooting, listed the names of the teachers and students who were murdered in the attack. He ended his list with Nicholas Dworet, who would have turned eighteen on the day of the protest.

Another survivor who spoke at the shooting was Emma Gonzalez who told the crowd that the shooting took six minutes and twenty seconds and that small time changed the lives of so many.

“Six minutes and twenty seconds with an AR-15 and my friend Carmen would never complain to me about piano practice. Aaron Feis would never call Kira, ‘Miss Sunshine.’ Alex Schachter would never walk into school with his brother Ryan. Scott Beigel would never joke around with Cameron at camp. Helena Ramsey would never hang out after school with Max. Gina Montalto would never wave to her friend Liam at lunch. Joaquin Oliver would never play basketball with Sam or Dylan. Alaina Petty would never. Cara Loughran would never. Chris Hixon would never. Luke Hoyer would never. Martin Duque Anguiano would never. Peter Wang would never. Alyssa Alhadeff would never. Jamie Guttenberg would never. Meadow Pollack would never.” said Emma Gonzalez in her speech.

Another notable speaker was eleven-year-old, Naomi Wadler, who spoke for all African-American woman who have been lost to gun violence and whose stories the media choose to forget.

Artists such as Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, Lin Manuel Miranda, and Jennifer Hudson performed at the event in order to raise awareness on the subject of gun control.

Overall, this event showed our entire country that all people, especially students, are no longer tolerating passing off the deaths of children with “thoughts and prayers”. Instead, we will push to pass laws and policies where the casualties of innocent people will no longer be the number one fear in American citizen’s lives.