The Rayflector

Car Show Fundraiser

Amber Walter, Staff Writer

With spring just beginning, summer is right around the corner which means many outdoor activities and fundraisers are being planned. One of those plans being a car show.

Garrett Merrill is hosting and planning a car show. The show will be taking place May 6th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The show will be taking place in the parking lot of  Extreme Grand Prix by Sutherlands in Raytown. The car show is a fundraiser for the Raytown school districts music programs.

“It’s raising money for Raytown schools’ music programs to buy new instruments and fund concerts and trips.” Marrett explained. “No one wants old equipment and the band has many concerts and trips. These fundraisers help with making all of those things happen.”

The car show isn’t a new event, though. It happened last year to make money for band and the show had an amazing turnout. “Last year they raised $1,420 and there were 112 cars there,” Marrett fondly remembered. “And anyone can bring their car or motorcycle to show off.”

When asked about this year’s car show, Marrett seemed hopeful. “There will be many different types of cars. Classic cars, race cars, exotic cars. We are expecting 200 cars this year.” Marrett pointed out, “The money goal is $2000, but I don’t think we will have any problem with reaching it.”

With summer creeping up it’s only fair that people start making plans for the warm weather. Hopefully, one of those plans will be attending Marrett’s car show and helping out the Raytown schools’ music programs.