The Rayflector

The Lineup is Set

Chiefs regular season schedule is released, along with the rest of the NFL.

Dusty Alexander, Sports Editor

The 2018-2019 NFL schedule was released to the public late Thursday night. The Kansas City Chiefs schedule looks as follows, with primetime games being highlighted in bold.

1 | Sep 09 | Chiefs @ Chargers | StubHub Center | 3:05 PM CBS

2 | Sep 16 | Chiefs @ Steelers | Heinz Field | 12:00 PM | CBS

3 | Sep 23 | 49ers @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | FOX

4 | Oct 01 | Chiefs @ Broncos | Sports Authority Field at Mile High | 7:15 PM | ESPN

The opening quarter of the season features a heavy road lineup against some tough teams. Two divisional games early on the road are never easy, along with a Steelers team that seems to always get the best of the Chiefs. The home opener doesn’t come until week three, against a 49ers team who is yet to lose with Jimmy Garoppolo at quarterback.

Prediction: 2-2

5 | Oct 07 | Jaguars @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS

6 | Oct 14 | Chiefs @ Patriots | Gillette Stadium | 7:20 PM | NBC

7 | Oct 21 | Bengals @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS

8 | Oct 28 | Broncos @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS

The 2nd quarter of the season features two tough AFC opponents, including the defending AFC champions. If Mahomes is really the quarterback everyone hopes he is, these are games where he can really prove himself. October 14th is a primetime game where the Chiefs will square off with Tom Brady once again, and the world will be watching. Although it’s debatable why the Chiefs are forced to play at their home field once again, after doing so last year also.

Prediction: 3-1

9 | Nov 04 | Chiefs @ Browns | FirstEnergy Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS

10 | Nov 11 | Cardinals @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | FOX

11 | Nov 19 | Chiefs @ Rams | Estadio Azteca (Mexico City) | 7:15 PM | ESPN

12 | Bye

13 | Dec 02 | Chiefs @ Raiders | Oakland Coliseum | 3:05 PM | CBS

The third turn of the season gives the Chiefs a chance to take a metaphorical breather. They take on a rebuilding Browns team, and a quarterback-less Cardinals team. Then comes one of the most sought after games of the season, where the Chiefs and Rams travel to Mexico City to duel in the Monday Night spotlight. Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib will give their best shot on guarding the likes of Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, and Travis Kelce, in what should be a very exciting game.

Prediction: 3-1

14 | Dec 09 | Ravens @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS

15 | Dec 13 | Chargers @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 7:20 PM | FOX

16 | Dec 23 | Chiefs @ Seahawks | CenturyLink Field | 7:20 PM | NBC

17 | Dec 30 | Raiders @ Chiefs | Arrowhead Stadium | 12:00 PM | CBS

Here it is folks, the final stretch. A early, road-heavy schedule means the Chiefs finish three of their final four games at home in KC. Which is surely a blessing in disguise when you have a sophomore quarterback under center. None of these games are a given, with the opponents all being teams that could be fighting for playoff spots of their own. The only primetime game of the season at Arrowhead comes in week 15 against the rival Chargers.

Prediction: 2-2

Season Prediction: 10-6

Words can’t explain my excitement for this season, as August can’t come quick enough. My 10-6 prediction comes with a huge question mark, as I truly believe it could easily go north or south of that mark.

It’s hard to predict what a team can do with a new QB, and with so many holes in the defense yet to be filled. Patrick Mahomes sure does have the talent and tools to be a franchise player, and hopefully this season proves exactly what he can do.

The defensive gaps should be filled in the NFL Draft, which starts April 26th.

Glaring holes remain at the CB, DL, and safety position. Looks for these to be early picks in the draft.

Either way, September 9th is only 4 Months, 19 days, 14 hours, and 47 minutes away. But who’s counting?