The Rayflector

Louder than a Bomb’s 2018 Pre-lim

Lillith Vieux, Staff Writer

Raytown High School’s Louder than a Bomb team had their 2018 preliminary competition on March 8th.

Louder than a Bomb is a slam poetry group that gives teens a platform to speak up about current issues and personal experiences.

Raytown’s LTAB team placed second out of four schools, and are moving to semi-finals. The night was filled with passionate voices, speaking out about current issues and private moments. There was a DJ, music, and a great MC to hype up the crowd.

The poets performing for Raytown that night were Amya Woods, Domonique Bivins, Adina Robinson, Tajia Carson, Lillith Vieux, and Ashley Dedrickson. The team is coached by Rachel Brown and John Garofalo.

The poems performed by the team were two group pieces and two individuals; Path’s, Llewelyn, She is, and Flint. Each poem was written from heart and performed with overwhelming emotion. The room was filled with tears, cheering, and snapping.

The semi-finals for LTAB were on Tuesday, the 20th at the Gem Theatre, 6:00-9:00 pm. The address for the Gem Theatre is 1615 E 18th St, Kansas City, MO 64108. There were be six other schools.

LTAB needs more members, students interested in joining should talk to Mr. Garofalo and Mrs. Brown. They will need to perform an original poem. An official date will be announced closer towards the end of the year, and auditions are held one at the end and the start of the year.