The Rayflector

Red Splash

The Chiefs remain aggressive in their offseason plans

Dustin Alexander, Staff Writer

The Kansas City Chiefs continue their busy offseason, making key acquisitions as the free agency period became official March 14th.

The Chiefs signed star wide receiver Sammy Watkins to a three year, 48 million dollar contract early tuesday morning. Watkins was a top commodity on the market, ranking as one the top wide receivers available this offseason.

Watkins will slide into a already stacked offense, allowing young quarterback to utilize names like Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, and now Watkins. This team has the potential to put together a historic offense, while hopefully the defense can stay afloat.

In hopes to do so, the team also signed former Cowboys ILB Anthony Hitchens to a 5 year, 45 million dollar contract. Hitchens will fit into the younger and faster mindset of the remodeled chiefs defense, with veteran Derrick Johnson being cut just weeks ago.

While these two players came at a cost, the benefits should be worth it. The defense still has glaring holes at cornerback, safety, and defensive line. Free agency is far from over, and multiple positions should be filled via the NFL draft in late April.

Regardless, Chiefs general manager Brett Veach has shown he’s not afraid to make the big signings needed to shape this roster. Since he’s taken over for John Dorsey, he’s signed players by the names of Harrison Butker, Reggie Ragland, Darrelle Revis, and now continues his impressive record.

A incredibly aggressive offseason has led fans to grow excited for the season, and it seems September can’t come soon enough. GO CHIEFS!