The Rayflector

BTS’ DNA and MIC Drop Get Certified RIAA Gold

The First Korean Idol Group To Do So

Brandi Dillon, Staff Writer

The RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) Certification for both singles and albums has been given to a number of artists, mostly American born. There are a number of limitations, however. These limitations make it difficult for artists born outside of the states to gain the certification. All sales counted are U.S. sales only, which restricts non-American based artists from getting this certification. The second requirement is that these sales reach half a million to reach Certified Gold.

International K-Pop Idol group BTS recently made an official debut in the United States, performing at the New Year’s celebration and even making appearances on the Late Late Show and the Ellen Show. Their most recent EP, Love Yourself: Her, features the title track “DNA”. It also features the original version of their song “MIC Drop”.

BTS’ first song, “MIC Drop,” is made into a remix with the help of Steve Aoki and Desiigner. This song received RIAA Gold on February 6th, 2018. Many undermined the talent of the Korean Idols, with statements that “MIC Drop” reached gold because of the help of Steve Aoki.

However, BTS’ “DNA” made the list only three days after “MIC Drop” on February 9th, 2018. The song features near full Korean lyrics, and received no help from non-Korean producers. BTS has become the first Korean group to earn RIAA Certification, and the second Korean act since PSY to earn the RIAA Gold Certification.