The Rayflector

New Home for Jays

Dae'Ron Jones, Staff Writer

The Raytown Bluejays baseball and softball teams will be getting a new home field within this upcoming year.

“There’s going to be a new field so staff, community, and the students at Raytown High School will be able to come enjoy the baseball/softball fields and see our teams. Currently we’re at two different spots. Softball is at Graceway Fields, and baseball plays at Robinson elementary,” says varsity softball and baseball coach Warren Strickland.

Crowd attendance will also be an improvement that comes with the new field.

“We get a little bit of a crowd but it’s going to be a lot better once we’re at one spot where people who are at study hall or something like that can come see,” Strickland said. Thanks to the addition of lights to the field, games will be able to start later, allowing more parents and family to come and support.

Outside of family, community support is very important to coach Strickland as he goes on to say, “My goal is to hopefully have the stands field packed with people from the community coming to watch us play.”

Because of the storm and difficult weather earlier this month, the field production was stopped for a while. “I expect for it to be done next year, meaning when we come back for school, softball is ready to play,” Strickland said. And ready to play they’ll be.