The Rayflector

End of a Reign

Dustin Alexander, Sports Editor

The 2017 Royals have had a fairly up and down season. Dealing with the tragic loss of young pitcher Yordano Ventura, the team started the season very slowly. Posting a 7 and 16 record in the month of April.

The Royals picked it up in the ladder months, but eventually fell back down to earth. The Cleveland Indians have recorded a historic year and already clinched the American League Central Division. Although the Royals can proudly boast that they broke the team’s record breaking 22 game win streak.

With playoffs mostly out of the picture, the team must turn their focus on the next season. The upcoming offseason is one the fans have been dreading for years as a huge part of the team’s core is eligible for free agency.

Players like Mike Moustakas, Eric Hosmer, Lorenzo Cain, Alcides Escobar and Jason Vargas will be able to listen to offers from other teams and likely leave the Royals. These players come with impressive resumes. The group holds two ALCS MVP, a All Star Game MVP and a veteran pitcher.

Supply and demand rises the cost of these players and resigning one or two is the only affordable option.

When asked who the Royals should resign, Sophomore Jacob Ciafullo and Senior Gino Trenolone both replied with Mike Moustakas.

“Moose, he started off the season great with all the home runs, he’s slowed down a lot and he’s still a solid third basemen. Expect a big money contract from the Royals,” Trenolone said.

“Moose, we need to make him a franchise player because he is fan loved,” Ciafullo said.

The Royals will not be able to keep every fan happy, but they must make choices that are best for the team and their future. Expect the roster to look completely different at the start of next year.