The Rayflector

Kansas City Chiefs Review

Dae'ron Jones, Photo Editor

Following a fairly successful 2016-17 season the Kansas City Chiefs look to show their recent success wasn’t a fluke.

The Chiefs didn’t do too much moving around this off season, but they did make three big moves. They released both long time Chief halfback Jamaal Charles, and veteran wide receiver Jeremy Maclin. They also drafted rookie quarterback Patrick Mahomes III out of Texas Tech, and will be grooming him to soon lead this franchise for years to come. Chiefs head coach Andy Reid states to Conor Orr of “Around the NFL”, “We saw him come in and improve every day that he was here with his verbiage and his footwork. Does he have a ways to go? Absolutely.”

The Chiefs are already facing some tribulations as their star safety, Eric Berry, has faced a season ending ACL injury. However, the load was more than made up for as the two safeties that replaced Berry, Daniel Sorensen and Eric Murray, led the team in tackles in their 27-20 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. Andy Reid said to “ESPN” writer Adam Teicher, “…you end up seeing Murray and Sorensen being the leading tacklers on the defense… with the exception of the one holding call early Murray came back and had some big plays for us and Sorensen had some big plays.”

Coming into the season ranked at number 8, the Chiefs had high expectations after going 12-4 last season. Judging by their 3 and 0 beginning, and now being at top of the power rankings through week 4, with a win against the defending champions New England Patriots, they are off to a good start.