The Student News Site of Raytown High School

The Rayflector

Senseless Loss in Las Vegas Creates a Need for Change

Kimberly Flores, Staff Writer

The largest shooting in United States history occurred late Sunday night on the final night of the Route 91 Harvest Festival. Jason Aldean was performing when the shooter, Stephen Paddock, opened fire – killing 59 people and wounding 527 others. The gunman was located on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino where he was found dead due to a self-inflicted gunshot. SWAT found a total of 23 rifles with him in the hotel room.

Many Americans woke up Monday morning and heard the horrific news. Rather than turning their backs, many people chose to act. Citizens donated water, food, blankets for comfort, and a surplus of blood. Multiple celebrities also reached out to the victims through social media. Celebrities such as Ellen Degeneres, Dwayne Johnson, and Lady Gaga used Twitter as their way of reaching the people affected by this tragedy.  

The men and women killed in this horrific tragedy were mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, and friends. The United States mourn the senseless loss of these Americans and all hearts ache for the families and friends of the victims.

In a world where hatred and violence has become all too common, one should not allow themselves to become desensitized to these events. These events will never go away unless change occurs.

Barack Obama once said, “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.”