The Student News Site of Raytown High School

The Rayflector

Tennis Club at RHS

Chance Prosser, Editor-In-Chief

Starting this year is Raytown High School’s new Tennis Club, which has the potential to be an activity to the school that students are interested in.

Ms. Kaitlin Bolton, an art teacher, serves as the sponsor for the club with Mr. Kenneth Dowell, the ISS teacher, acting as assistant. They will teach students wanting to join how to play tennis at Coleman Park on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

“Tennis is a passion of mine and I wanted to see it become a sport here,” Bolton said. “I think it’s a great activity, you can play it your entire life, and I want it to be here.”

Although it is considered to be a club instead of a team, Bolton hopes to have it be a school approved sport through the Missouri State High School Activities Association starting next school year. Girls Tennis would be during first semester and Boys Tennis would be during second semester.

“I hope to get varsity on a school sport for the first time and I hope to get better [at tennis],” junior Cooper Wilkinson said.

24 students attended the informational meeting on Friday Sep. 22, showing that tennis is an activity students would be interested in.

“I always liked tennis and playing it with my brothers, so I decided this would be a good opportunity,” freshman Emma Taylor said.

Tennis practice will start on Tuesday Sep. 26 and will last until it starts to get too cold to play. Afterwards, it will pick back up in March.